Popular Poker Terms and Meanings
As you may have noticed when playing poker there are many poker terms that are used that novice players will fail to understand the meaning of so below we have decided to provide you with a list of the most common poker terms that you will find being used in poker games and the meanings of them.
1. All In – where a player bets all their chips.
2. Advertising – this is where a player attempts to deceive on opponent by faking.
3. Ante – the ante is the amount of funds players agree to post at the game start.
4. Betting The Pot – where your bet size is equal or more than the pot value.
5. Board – board is the term that is used for the community cards.
6. Boat – a boat is called when a player is in possession of a full house.
7. Cut Off – this is used to describe the player who sits to the right of the button.
8. Downcards – downcards is the name given to the cards you are dealt first.
9. Facecard – facecards are any cards that have a picture such as queens or kings.
10. Flop – this is the name given to the first three community cards.
11. Fourth Street – this is the name given to the forth community card.
12. Hit – this is where you are dealt the card you needed in a game.
13. Lay Down – this is another term that is used when a player folds.
14. Maniac – this is the term used for a very aggressive and loose player.
15. Monster – this is where you would have an extremely good hand
16. Muck – is where you decide to fold your cards without showing the others.
17. Nuts – you would use this term if you had achieved the best hand possible
18. Nit – is used to describe a tight player who rarely gambles.
19. Pass – again this is another term for folding.
20. Push – this is the term you would use for playing all in.
21. Quads – use this when you are holding a hand of four of a kind.
22. Ragged – this is where you have the worst possible flop for everyone involved.
23. River – this is the name for the final community card and the most important.
24. Shark – is the name given to an extremely strong and capable player.
25. Showdown – is the term used to describe when all players show their cards.
26. Tell – is a term we use when we have identified players behaviour.
27. Tilting – is where a player plays in a random way and loses lots of money.
28. Trips – this is where a player holds three of a kind.
29. Turn – another name for the forth community card also known as forth street.
30. Underpair – this is where a player holds a pair with less value than the community cards.
31. Under The Gun – is the name for the player who makes the first move during a game of poker.
32. Wheel – is where a player achieves a straight which includes an ace.
These poker terms and phrases are the ones that people tend to have most difficulty with so we hope our brief explanation of them acts to help you in the future.